Beginning Note: I am posting this review today because Margaret Thatcher has died.* Was I a fan? No. Would I have voted for her? Hell no. Is it cool that a woman did what she did? You bet.
- OVERALL: A very powerful and thoughtful movie.
- POINTS: Meryl Streep. ‘Nuff said! British woman director, Phyllida Lloyd, directed the movie and I do like to support women directors. 🙂
- PITFALLS: Well there really weren’t any. It’s just that I kept wondering if the people who made this movie were fans of Thatcher. It showed her in a well, not exactly positive light, but in a gentle one. Since in the movie it shows her at the end of her life with dementia, it is not surprising that even the Argentinians felt sympathy towards her because of this movie. And hey, I’m not now nor will I ever be a fan of Thatcher. But still I was moved by her story.
- FEMALE CHARACTER(S): Uh yes. It was about “The Iron Lady” and the Iron Lady dominated the screen. (Being played by Meryl Streep helped. ;)) There were other women in the movie, and of course there were men, but this was focused on Thatcher so we certainly did have a female character in this flick.
- CULTURAL PITFALL(S): I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of seeing every successful woman get asked, or rather accused, of not doing her womanly duty to her family. Could we cut this sh*t out please? Do men ever get asked this nonsense? I mean do men ever get asked, or accused, of not being a good man because he spent more time with his career than his family. Uh no. No, really no. I’m tired of hearing this (even if it MIGHT have been something Thatcher had to hear) and I would appreciate never hearing this nonsense again. For any gender, BTW.
- HIGH POINT(S): [SPOILER ALERTS] The movie opening with a senile Thatcher buying milk was quite amazing.
- BECHDEL TEST (Website): 3 of 3. Well done! http://bechdeltest.com/view/3065/the_iron_lady/
- OFFICIAL MOVIE WEBSITE: http://weinsteinco.com/sites/iron-lady/
- DVD/BLU-RAY WORTHY: Yes. I own it. 🙂
- LION PAW PRINTS: 3 out of 5. Damn fine movie. See it. It is very good.
*She is the same age and died the same year as my mother, another incredible Iron Lady, who was the exact political opposite of Thatcher. In fact, I am sure my Iron Lady would have made the PM Iron Lady weep. My mother did not tolerate milk being taken from children. Or adults. Go Mom. 🙂