- OVERALL: Fun! Sci-Fi! Adventure! Kate Beckinsdale rockin’ out as a baddie!
- POINTS: Cool sets, cool action, good acting. Or at least waaaay better than anything that Schwarzenegger gave.
- PITFALLS: The whole travelling through the Earth’s core thing didn’t make any sense to me. But oh well. I still really enjoyed it. Plus Jessica Biel. I have seen her give a good performance only once (The Illusionist). I normally look at her and think that her eyes are dead and give no emotion or thought. She was ok in this movie, but I think she is very dependent on the director. Also I am not a fan of Colin Farrell. Yes he can act but well, he does nothing for me. (I still haven’t gotten over and Irish man playing a Greek in the travesty known as Alexander.) I guess I was really unimpressed with him during an interview I saw several years ago and in my mind of think of him a Bad Slut and just can’t quite see over it.)
- FEMALE CHARACTER(S): Oh wow! Not since Resident Evil has a movie featured and advertised two kick butt women. Granted one of the kick butt women was the villain, but still cool! Plus I got really tired of Sharon Stone’s character constantly being sexual and coming on to Schwarzenegger. (Honestly, I felt sorry for Stone.) It just got really annoying to have the female character be just a male fantasy. Yawn. Plus Three Breasts was here I was glad that she wasn’t fondled. It just bugged me in the first movie (I felt sorry for the actress).Oh and Kate has a great line “I give good wife.” 🙂 I don’t know why that makes me laugh but it does.
- CULTURAL PITFALL(S): This movie is pretty good. The two women are fun and there are other women with speaking roles throughout. Though I would have enjoyed more women also working in the factory and not just show men. Now there are lots of colors in this movie. You can see many colors of people and the heroes best buddy is black. Cool. Much better to have lots of color everywhere.
- HIGH POINT(S): Kate Beckinsdale ROCKS as the villain! You can tell she is loving every minute of it. Plus she is darn scary. You do not want her going after you and she is relishing playing the bad, bad person who commands and conquers. Or at least it sure does look like she is enjoying herself.
- BECHDEL TEST (Website): 1. Alas that this movie did not do better. (Bechdel Test page.) Well keep on going people. Onward and upward.
- DVD/BLU-RAY WORTHY: I got the full package with this one. I also have the director’s cut and I always recommend getting that!! So good to see more of the movie. (However don’t get the director’s cut of Alexander, Hubby said that was worse than the theatrical version and just prolonged the agony.)
- LION PAW PRINTS: 3. Totally enjoyable, as I recall. (sorry….)